Friday, January 25, 2013

Moving On


So…the “hard” stuff is done.

I have gotten the dreaded “C” word diagnosis.

I have undergone a bilateral mastectomy.

I have undergone 6 chemo infusions.

I have gone to the radiation therapy department 34 times, for a total of 78 “zaps”.

All in the past 9 months. During that time I have dealt with a myriad of side effects. Both emotional and physical. I have watched all my hair fall out. I have watched my muscle tone waste away. I have watched my body drop 15 pounds. I have looked in the mirror and not known my own reflection. I have watched my skin turn red and now I am watching it peel. I have watched those people I love, and who love me, deal with this while trying their hardest to keep my spirits us. I am still dealing with problematic fingernails. I am still fatigued yet still have trouble sleeping.

But…as I said…the hard stuff is over.

There is still more to do. I will have Herceptin infused every three weeks until July. (I love Herceptin, it has saved (is saving?) my life. I don’t want to stop it).

I still need my expanders removed and my implants…implanted.

Soon I will start popping a daily pill, and will pop it for the next 5 years. This pill comes with its own horrid side effects, but, like everything else I have done, I will give it my best shot, while holding onto my right to stop popping it if I so decide.

I have never had a full body scan but I have been told by my oncologists that there is no evidence of disease in my body. None. NED. I’m on a wing and a prayer.

And I am done blogging. I am still walking in cancerland, I will never fully leave this place, but I am done blogging about it. I hope to never, ever have to blog a Part II. I appreciate all of you who have come along on this walk with me. I thank you for your comments, prayers, love and support.

I will be giving back, and paying it forward, for the rest of my life. Because I know of no other way to properly thank you. Every good deed I do in the future will be done in your name. Thank you.

If you have enjoyed reading this blog may I direct you here: http://www.butdoctorihatepink.com/. Ann is a wonderful woman and blogger. Her diagnosis started as mine did (stage 2) but quickly morphed into Stage 4 metastatic disease. She is more graceful, more dignified and more sarcastic then I could ever be. She is my hero.

If you would like to watch me say “thank you” to you time and time again then please go here:  http://www.thechemobag.com and here: https://www.facebook.com/TheChemoBag

With much love and gratitude I leave you with hugs and peace.

Leah

Breast Cancer Survivor.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leah! I just got reading through a few of your posts and I had a quick question about your blog. I am involved in the cancer community and was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance. Thanks! - emilywalsh688(at)gmail.com.

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete