Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Lakeside!


Alan, Michelle and I were lucky enough to have spent this past weekend lakeside. I had truly thought our lakeside plans for this summer wouldn’t come to pass, but through the gracious generosity of his friends we were able to spend some time in the fresh mountain air without having to do much work ourselves.

The past few years we have rented a place on Lake Arrowhead for a week. We would pack up everything we needed to stay there, sheets, towels, food, kayaks, more food, more towels, some cooking utensils, plastic plates, more food, drinks, ice…everything a family of three would need plus enough extra to have friends and family visit one day for a BBQ. We would bring so much we would have to take both the van and the car up as it wouldn’t all fit in the van. We look forward to it, plan it meticulously and have an awesome time.

And this year we just knew it wouldn’t happen. I didn’t have the stamina for it. Nor the strength to shop for and pack up all the necessary items. Nor could I drive. Or paddle my kayak. Or submerge myself in the lake water. It was a real sad day when we decided to cancel our plans to head up there at the end of June. We briefly considered going later in the summer when I had fully recovered from surgery but then there was the chemo and the weekly Herceptin infusions. And the whole “don’t go in lake water while on chemo” and “stay out of the sun while on chemo” debacle. So in the end we decided to just skip it.

But Alan has a friend who owns a house on another lake in the Pocono’s and when he said “if there is anything we can do for you and your family….” We said “well, you have that lake house in the Pocono’s” and they very graciously invited us up for a long weekend. Their home was gorgeous, the kind of home I could live in year round. I saw multiple deer while I was there but unfortunately I missed the black bear that walked across the yard early one morning. The lake was serene, quiet, hidden and tucked away. Our hosts and their children couldn’t have been kinder, more accommodating or more understanding. The weather was perfect and I feel renewed.

Those of you who know me know I am a water person. I love lakes, rivers and pools. I like to get wet. Soaked. Head to toe. I’m not yet one of those women who say “Don’t get my hair wet”. I can play and splash as well as any 7 year old. I just love it. Hot weather, cool water. That is a perfect combination. And yet here I am this summer, post op and on my way to chemo, and I have been told to NOT GET WET. Dam. Or, as my mom says, Damn.

So on Sunday our friends suggested we go to Lake Wallenpaupak and rent a boat. We readily agreed because the only thing better than a kayak is a boat with an actual motor that you can cruise around in. But to be perfectly honest with you I was a bit terrified of going. I have had a hard time lately being jostled around while sitting in a car, so how would I feel being jostled around on a boat? Turns out, I felt great. It was just what the Doctor ordered!! The wind in my hair, the spray of the lake on my face, the sun shining, the open lake and the speed!! Man…there really isn’t much that is better than that. Yeah, I got jostled around, and at times I hurt a bit…but so what?? I was in my element.

Something happened to me during those hours on the boat Sunday afternoon. I left “cancerland” for a few hours and became a normal person again. The only thing that could have made the day better was if I could have actually jumped into the lake. But since no one did that, it really didn’t bother me too much. And there was one direction that we went where we just go sprayed. Soaked. All of us. Just smiling and laughing and heading into the wind.

That boat ride did something to me. Healed me completely post op. Before heading out I had thought “it’s a nap day for sure” but once we were done I was…I don’t know…rejuvenated? Yeah, I was sore, but not intolerably so…I wasn’t up for an adventure but I didn’t feel the need to sleep, sit yes, but not sleep. I felt…good…honestly good…not saying I felt good just so I didn’t have to say I felt bad…but truly and honestly good. And I have our hosts to thank for that. Thank you. You helped me. I appreciate your kindness more than you can imagine. Thank you.

I even drove the last 7 miles home.

Next up…lifting a gallon of milk.

One week from today my chemo starts…and I am going to do my best to have a good week, and starting the week off on a boat is the perfect way to start a week. So thank you again.

1 comment:

  1. Your get away sounds devine! I'm so glad you got to go :)

    ReplyDelete