Thursday, December 13, 2012

Happy Birthday To Me


So…I turned 40. Yep. The big 4-0. In the past I have been one of those people who would say “sure feels good to be 28” when I was really 38.

But not this year. I am 40! Thank God, I have lived to see this birthday.

Reality check people: having a birthday is a good thing. A really good thing. And I won’t ever take another birthday for granted, or lament the fact that I am getting older. The alternative to getting older is not an option.

Turning 40 actually makes me laugh a bit. This is the age when most women get their first mammogram, and here I am, with no more mammo’s to gram.

Once again, I find myself thanking my troublesome boobs, so problematic that I had my first mammo at 25, and my last at 39. All those benign lumps and bumps helped to save my life. By the time I had my last mammo, getting a mammo (or ultrasound) had become routine.

Knowing myself as well as I do…I would most likely have been on the phone today with my Gyn saying “I’m 40 now, schedule my mammo!”

It has been 8 months since my diagnosis; imagine what havoc these aggressive HER2+++ cancer cells would have done to my body if say…I found out now that I have breast cancer. What a mess that could have been.

What a freaking mess.

I am done with messes, thank you very much. I am done being a mess. I am happy, I am in a good place, I love and I am loved.

40 is the new 20. It is time to celebrate folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment