Thursday, December 27, 2012

Insurance


Insurance is defined as (simply):  protection against something going wrong.

Last week when I saw my Rad. Onc, when she told me I did not have cancer, that my cancer was removed from my body on May 31, 2012 when I had surgery, she also told me to look at chemo and rads as “insurance”.

Protection against something going wrong. Like, say, my cancer coming back (either local or metastatic).

So now this word “insurance” is stuck in my head.

Many years ago I was involved in a car accident (not my fault). My car was totaled. My insurance company paid off my loan, paid for my ER visit and subsequent physical therapy. There was even a few bucks left over for money towards a new vehicle. I paid my insurance and my insurance took care of me the way it was suppose to.

Alan and I have medical insurance, we pay into it monthly and as a result they help us with medical bills. They help us cover the cost of all these medical bills. (I don’t want to get into the money part of cancer but let me just say this: that shot I got the day after each chemo? $15,000. Each. 6 chemo’s, 6 shots. You do the math).

So you see, having insurance is a good thing. It helps. Without it we would sink into a deep whole of debt that we could never recover from.

But my point is, we pay for insurance and when something goes wrong we use that insurance to help us out.

So…chemo and rads. My insurance. I have paid for this with money. With sweat. With tears. With fatigue. With nausea. With every ounce of energy I had. Worst payments ever.

I have paid my dues (18 more rads to go).

So who pays if something goes wrong?

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment