Monday, December 17, 2012

Happy News.


Wow! All I can is “wow”! I have had a fantabulous Birthday weekend and I just want to share it with all of you…I have given you all a lot of sad news/bad news/angry news over these last 8 months, so here is something to make you smile.

Starting with last Thursday, Dec 13, my official birthday. I had a lovely lunch with a dear friend I don’t see enough of. Luckily we chose a place to eat that will bring you a free “birthday” dessert but doesn’t sing and dance and make you feel like an idiot. It was good to spend time with her, just to sit and chat and be able to taste a yummy meal. There was one moment during lunch where all hell could have broken loose…but didn’t. It was a very funny moment for Lynn and me but for you…well, if I explained it, you would just be left scratching your heads. Lynn has been a strong voice of reason for me these last months, our friendship is precious.

Alan and Michelle presented me with cards and new charms for my bracelet and we had a lazy night eating breakfast for dinner and just chilling out at home.  Peaceful, calm. Family.

On Friday I went in for my radiation (9 now done, out of 34) as usual and then saw Dr. M. for a bit. Every Friday I see her after radiation. I worked up the nerve to ask her if I “had” cancer or “have” cancer. As far as I can recall, here is how the conversation went:

Dr. M: Oh no, you don’t have cancer anymore. There is every indication that all the cancer was removed from your body on May 31, 2012 when you had your surgery.

Me: But there was cancer found in that one lymph node…

Dr. M: Yes, but only in one lymph node…

Me: (interrupting) But they only removed one lymph node…

Dr. M: Yes, and the cancer found in that one lymph node was so microscopic that it is highly unlikely it had time to spread to another lymph node. And as you finish up treatments you will be scanned again…

Me: (interrupting) But I have never been scanned. Except for my brain and that was because my vision became blurry…

Dr. M: I scanned you. When you had your mapping done you had a CT Scan done of your torso. I can see all your lymph nodes and upper internal organs. There is no indication of cancer anywhere in that scan. If there were a few loose microscopic cells floating around in your body the chemo would have taken care of them, and if not the chemo then the radiation will finish the job.

Me: So all this treatment is for “just in case”?

Dr. M: Yes. When radiation is over I will give you a certificate that says NED on it. No evidence of disease.

Me: So I don’t have cancer.

Dr. M: No Leah, you don’t have cancer.

I don’t have cancer. Happy Birthday to me! Merry Christmas to me!! I will take her statement on faith and believe it is true. What other choice do I have??

And then there was Saturday. Best. Party. Ever. It is hard to surprise sneaky, micromanaging, nosey me. But there were definitely a few surprises. 40 pink balloons? Surprise! The hugest “40” cake in the world? Surprise! Pink luminaries lining the street in front of my house, my driveway and my front walk? Surprise! My brother and sister in law ringing the bell? Huge Surprise! There had to have been 40+ people in my house that night. Multiple bottles of wine finished, laughter, food, happy children. I couldn’t have asked for a more special night. And micromanaging me didn’t have to do anything. Even on the day after when I was reminded how horrible feeling hung-over was, Alan shooed me off to bed while he cleaned up.

I really thought this Holiday Season (including my birthday) was going to be a bust, but I was so wrong. I couldn’t be happier. I have everything I need, everything I want.

Including evidence of eye-lash regrowth.

No comments:

Post a Comment