Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hair And Friends


Ok, so I now I have to come to terms with chemotherapy. Hair loss. As many of you know, I have a love hate relationship with my hair. Mostly hate. It’s too thin. It’s too frizzy. It’s too gray. When it’s long I look like a hippie and when it’s short I look like a poodle. And it’s all going to fall out. And eventually grow back in. Good Lord….that is going to be a mess. Besides gray, what color is it?? I don’t even want to know. But I like to wrap bandanas around my head. And I guess I will learn how to tie a head scarf knot. And Kimi offered me her hair but I think by the time she cut it and they turned it into a wig my hair would be growing back in. Plus, it will cost money. Lots of money. Like $500 or more from what I’ve seen. And as much as l love her blonde hair, I am not a blonde. And Mike, well…we don’t want to go there, do we. He’s sweet and well meaning…but really….ewwwww

Then my friend Romina puts a link on FB for www.friendsarebyyourside.com They will direct you to a local participating Salon where women with breast cancer can get a human hair wig. FOR FREE!! Yeah Baby!! So I call the closest salon but the lady who answered didn’t know what I was talking about and the manager and the owner were both out. I have watched enough of Tabitha’s Salon Takeover to know that if neither the manager nor the owner of the salon is there then, well, it’s not a place I want to go to. So I called the next two closest places but they don’t participate anymore. HOWEVER!! The stylist Martino Cartier is the dude who started this program and he has 2 salons in NJ. www.martinocartier.com AND I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH HIM NEXT THURSDAY!!! YEAH BABY!! I am so excited because I was so worried about it and less than 24 hours after I started worrying about it my worries are over. Thank you Romina!!

This morning, after Paulette read my blog, she texted me and this is what she said “2 things about your blog that bothers me. 1. At the YOUNG age of 39? Who are you kidding? You’re old like the rest of us. Come to terms with it now. 2. Nice way for you to get BOOBS! Get a D!! Then let me check them out!” Then she asked if she could have the $150 worth of bras I recently bought at Victoria’s Secret. (What timing huh??). Nice friend right? Don’t worry tho, I had a great response to that but I won’t share it here because I love her so much I don’t want to embarrass her publicly. But she knows I spoke the truth.

Also this morning my friend Judy texted me to tell me that she emailed my blog to her sister and her sister in law. The three of them are running in the Dirty Girl 5k for breast cancer next week. And they are going to wear Team Leah T-shirts. I love Judy too.

Last night when I got the call from Dr. Chung I was so shaken and so upset that my friend Pam took Michelle to her house. She stayed there for a few hours and had dinner there. Thank God for Pam and the fact that her house is right near mine. This morning I called her to thank her again and she must have read my blog already cuz she answers the phone all sing-songy and says “I think it’s great that you made this decision Leah. It’s the right one for you.” I love Pam too.

And my new friend Francine just texted me too, asked if I was interested in making a cast of my (current) breasts before I get my new ones. I am waiting for her to send me more details about this but I have a feeling when I get them it will make me laugh. I love this woman too.

I am so blessed and look forward to a long life surrounded by these five ladies, and all of you. Thank you all for the love and laughs.

The clarity I received is bringing me a sense calmness I truly thought was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment