Monday, April 23, 2012

Tonight


Tonight when I told Michelle it was time for her to shower she asked me to join her. Which was weird because showering together stopped a long time ago when she began to notice the differences between her body and mine. But I agreed just to see if there was something deeper to her request.

There was.

She used that time in the shower to examine me. To feel for herself that there isn’t a bump to feel. To tell me that she almost cried today at school coming in from recess because she was worried about me. To tell me she wanted to talk to the guidance counselor today but she was unavailable. That she instead talked to her principal and he made her feel better. She asked me again if I was going to die. I told her that I didn’t think this cancer was going to kill me, but that we still needed more information. She asked if I would have my breast removed and I told her I would, if it would save my life.

Then I received an email from a “mom” friend. You know, the friend you make because your daughters are friends and luckily you get along with the mom? Anyway, at school Michelle talked to this little girl about me. And, in my opinion, this little girl is stronger than me. And a good choice was made by Michelle in talking to her. Michelle did not tell me about this conversation tho. And I doubt I will ask her about it. She is allowed to have her secrets, and I am glad she has a friend like this girl.

And Michelle’s BFF’s mom, Stacy, is also a great friend of mine. And Stacy talked to her daughter today about me. And we made plans for the weekend, and I know Michelle’s BFF will hug her, and cry with her if need be.

 Because that is what BFF’s do, right Paulette?

On top of all this, I have received an overwhelming amount of love and support today after my “Dear Everyone” letter. Thank you. I love you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment