Monday, April 23, 2012

Surgical Oncologist


So by now you have read my “Dear Everyone” letter, so this entry will be less factual and more emotional.

I’m sure by now you all have at some point in your life had the chance to consult with/meet a surgeon. Are they not the most non-personable persons? And I don’t mean that in a bad way, what I mean is this: they just know. They know what you are going to ask before you open your mouth. They can answer your every question while you just sit there. It’s what they do. And it’s what I have always expected of a good surgeon. It drives me insane, but I swear while in med school future surgeons take a class on how to be emotionless. Think of Dr. Yang on Grey’s Anatomy. She’s a robot. As all good surgeons should be.

But being there, being told that while yes, I have cancer, we do not need to rush. That getting all the needed info is the most important thing to do right now. And Alan and I are sitting there thinking “but this is me you’re talking about…everything should have been done yesterday!” But…my friend Lien put me in touch with someone who is going thru something similar, except she has DCIS, the cancer I was hoping to have. “The cancer I was hoping to have.”? Did I really just say that?? Anyway, turns out, waiting 5 weeks after diagnosis until surgery (of any kind) is normal. Normal. What the hell is normal about this??? I have a cancer that usually only attacks post menopausal women. Whatever….

Already the Plastic Surgeon has contacted me. I will see him this week. I could end up with a free boob job. And if for some reason I need a double mastectomy, I am coming back with a C cup….just saying.

This afternoon I went to a pub where my friend Kimi works. She is a certified CPR instructor, EMT and intern for a DA. She’s super cool. Anyway, I need my CPR renewed because even tho I have cancer, I am a nurse too and I need to do what I need to do. And don’t we all go to pubs to renew our CPR? So as I said, Kimi is super cool, from the moment I met her I knew that. She’s my kind of person and we hit it off when we met a year ago. But she is not a close friend. I sent my “Dear Everyone” letter and then went to see her, but she did not get that letter. So she was my guinea pig. I looked her in the eye and told her I had breast cancer. And she says “oh, you’ll be fine…my aunt went thru…..” and then she whips her hair out of its bun and lets that long thick, dirty blonde, almost down to her ass hair loose and says “I’m growing it to donate it”. I asked if I could have it, if need be and she said “yes”. And by the time I had gotten home she had already found out what wig place would do it. Would cut her hair, turn it into a wig, and save it for me.

So now Kimi is a close friend. And I can’t wait to take her out kayaking.


No comments:

Post a Comment