Saturday, May 12, 2012

May 11, 2012


Every journey, like every book, has a beginning, a middle and an end. So I can’t help but wonder, when did this journey begin for me? April 20 when I got my diagnosis? April 17 when I had my biopsy? April 10 when I had my last mammogram? Perhaps my journey began 9 or so years ago with one tiny little cell that decided to rebel. I may never know where the beginning was.

But I feel like the beginning is now. Right now. Not yesterday. Today. And the beginning is going to last just one day. Today. The end will be the day I am told I am NED. No Evidence Of Disease. And everything between this first day and that last day is the middle. Everything that happened up until today has been the prequel. And I sure as hell hope that once I reach the end there is not a sequel.

Because today all my ducks lined up. They are all in a row. All the necessary doctors have been met with (with the exception of anesthesia). All decisions have been made. All consent forms have been signed. Today, things have begun to move forward. There are still things to find out, of course….the pathology of my cancer, what chemo to take and many, many more things…..But today, today the chips fell into place. Oh thankfully, the chips have fallen into place.

I will be having a bilateral mastectomy on May 31.

And tonight I will sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment